Marie Claire Magazine and Liz Claiborne, Inc. have declared October 14, 2004 the first ever "It's Time to Talk Day" - a day on which Americans nationwide will be urged to talk about domestic violence.
In Central Illinois, Radio Bloomington and local CAEPV members are co-sponsoring "It's Time To Talk" to raise awareness throughout local communities.
Local CAEPV members will be participating in "It's Time To Talk Day" in the following ways:
- Distributing educational materials in their workplaces*
- Distributing domestic violence awareness brochures to clients
- Setting up informational tables containing domestic violence awareness materials in libraries
- Holding seminars for employees
- Providing information to employees via the Internet and Intranet*
- Including domestic violence awareness as part of lectures given in classes during that day (local community college)
- Extensively running a special television show about domestic violence in all residence halls (local university)
- Writing informational articles for employee newsletters
- Hanging an "It's Time to Talk Day" banner at a prominent location in Bloomington-Normal
- Writing "Letters to the Editor" for local newspapers
- Tying purple ribbons to car antennas (local law enforcement agencies)
- Holding an event to talk about how domestic violence affects children
- Reaching out to the local faith community to ask them to take a "Moment to Talk"
- Providing radio interviews to be run in October (Radio Bloomington)
- Rally, march, and candlelight vigil in partnership with student organization on the evening of October 14 (local university)
- 2004 Domestic Violence Awareness Month Calendar of Events (Central Illinois)—MSWord or PDF
More ideas will come as plans are finalized, so please check back often!
Local participants in "It's Time To Talk Day" 2004 include:
Radio BloomingtonCorporate Alliance to End Partner ViolenceCollaborative Solutions Institute
COUNTRY Insurance & Financial Services
Heartland Community CollegeIllinois State UniversityMcLean County Domestic Violence Task ForceMcLean County GovernmentMid-Central Community Action's Countering Domestic Violence Program
Soroptimists International (Midwestern Region)
State Farm Insurance Companies
The Boys & Girls Club of Bloomington-Normal
Town of Normal YWCA of McLean County